Have you ever found yourself at roulette tables asking yourself this question: “what the hell is going on here?” And this is just on the standard tables. If you happen to fire some of the newer versions of the game, such as the double zero roulette, you might end up scratching your head more.
We have all be there once. It is a rite of passage that any player has to go through. Whether you are an eighty-year-old or simply an 18-year-old lad looking to start playing the beautiful game of roulette, there’s a high chance you’ll find yourself scratching your head.
But you need not worry about looking like a schmuck on the roulette wheel our dear reader. Oh no. And this is because we are not only going to teach you about the basic roulette rules, but we will also point you to the best casinos online to play roulette from the comfort of your house. You will be swashbuckling up the roulette wheel like Sean Connery in no time.
List of Roulette Online Casinos
The Roulette Wheel and the Table - Theme and Design of The Game
The theme and design of roulette are straightforward but can be a little confusing to new players. Confusing because the three main versions of roulette have almost an identical layout. Unless you are well versed and keen enough, you may not be able to know which roulette game is which.
As you play roulette online, there are more than fifty different games from multiple software providers. Yet, despite the variety, they are categorized into:
The European Roulette
It is the most popular version of roulette. It features a total of thirty-seven (37) pockets/numbers, which run from 1-36 and an extra single zero that is green
The American Roulette
This version has thirty-eight (38) pockets/numbers, running from 1-36. However, unlike the European roulette game, it features a green single zero and a green double zero
The French Roulette
It’s almost identical to the European roulette game. It has the same number of pockets and the same layout. Its wording, however, is in French. The other difference is that this game uses the famous En Prison and La Partage rules. More about these rules shortly
Which Is The Best Roulette Game To Play Online?
You can play all these roulette games at recommended online casinos. And when it comes to the best game, it’s all down to the player’s preference. If you are looking to play a high-risk, high-reward game, play American roulette. If you are searching for a game with a high chance of winning, then European and French roulette games are highly recommended.
The double zero in American roulette increases the house edge to 5.27% as compared to the 2.6% in European roulette. Like with any other casino game, you are better off playing and winning in a game with a low house edge like European roulette. In French roulette, the house is further reduced to a partly 1.35%, but when the En Prison and La Partage rules apply.
Placing Roulette Bet Online – Technical Aspects
Once you’ve identified the best online casino to visit and play roulette, you need to create an account if you wish to play for real money. If you intend to play roulette for free, then you can simply go straight and play the game you wish to without opening an account.
Once you have an account, follow the steps below to play roulette online. The process of playing the game to getting the results only takes a matter of minutes.
If you’d like to have a go at it again, repeat the procedure above until when you are satisfied. Remember, the more you cover the table, the better your chances of winning. Also, don’t ever chase a loss. If you are not winning, cut your losses and walk away. Come back another day and try your luck!
Types of Bets
There are different types of bets you can place on the outcome of the spin of a roulette wheel. These bets are categorized as either outside or inside bets. Outside bets are those that focus on a group of numbers whereas inside bets are those that focus on a specific set of numbers. Let’s take a closer look at these types of bets.
They apply to the three types of roulette games online. Whether you choose to play French, American or European roulette, you’ll have the following types of inside bets:
- A Straight Up Bet: This is the type where you place your bet on a number. You are simply predicting the winning number will be say 10, 15, 1, 30 etc, which is why it is referred to as a straight up bet. Because of how difficult it is to land a single number bet, they tend to offer the highest odds. A £10 bet will return you £360 (inclusive of the bet), which means you get odds of 35/1
- A Split Bet: It is a popular roulette bet because it allows you to wager on the outcome of two numbers on the wheel. If your bet comes to pass, you are paid out at odds of 17/1. So, for example, if you want to bet on numbers 20 and 23, you will simply place your chip between the line separating 20|23 on the table. If you place say a £10 bet and it comes to pass, you receive a payout of £180 inclusive of the stake
- A Street Bet: Also referred to as a Line, Trio or Three number bet, the street bet covers three successive numbers on the roulette table. If any of the three selected numbers lands on the wheel, you are paid out at odds of 11/1. So a £10 bet on 22, 23 and 24 will yield £110 inclusive of the bet if any of the three numbers lands. If you are to place a street bet on the roulette table, simply place your chip on either the edge of the line on number 22 or 24.
- A Square Bet: Also goes by the name of a corner bet and is placed at the corner where the four numbers you think will come to pass meet. Should any of these four numbers show up, the casino is obligated to pay out at odds of 8/1. A £10 bet on numbers 22, 23, 26 and 25 will see you get a total payout of £90 inclusive of the bet amount.
- A Six Number Bet: Other players will call it a double street bet, since it covers a total of six numbers, which are equivalent to two streets. To place this type of bet, simply place your chip at the end of the two rows (streets). For example, if you want to cover numbers 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 27, place your chip on the corner connecting 22|25 or the one connecting 24|27. If any of the numbers shows up, you are paid out at odds of 5/1. A bet of £10 will return £60 inclusive of the bet.
- Five Number Bet: It is a special type of bet. Special in the sense that it’s only found on the American roulette wheel. It covers the first five numbers of the American roulette wheel, including the double zeros. Should your bet win, you receive a payout at odds of 6/1, which means a £10 bet will payout £70 inclusive of the bet.
Outside bets simply cover a group of numbers as opposed to individual numbers. They also cover other variables on the roulette table such as the colour and whether a number will be odd or even. Most of these bets are even money bets, which mean they pay at odds of 1/1. Here are some of the common outside bets you’ll find at a roulette table.
- Red or Black – a red or black bet is simply one that requires you to predict whether the next number will be black or red. This is an even money bet and pays out at odds of 1/1. Therefore a £10 bet will return £20 inclusive of the original bet
- Odd or Even – just like the red or black bet, odd or even bet pays out at odds of 1/1. You will be betting that the next number to show up on the wheel will be either odd or even.
- High or Low Bet – it is also referred to as a field bet. When you place this bet, you are simply referring that the numbers will be in one of the two groups indicated on the table – “1-18” or “19-36”. If you think your lucky number will be between 1-18, place your chip on the section labelled 1-18. The same applies to the 19-36 section. If your bet comes to pass, you are paid out at odds of 1/1.
- Columns Bet – a closer look at the roulette table and you’ll realize there are three columns. These include the numbers 1-4-7-10-13-16-19-22-25-28-31-34; 2-5-8-11-14-17-20-23-26-29-32-35 and 3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27-30-33-36. Therefore, to place a column bet, simply put your chip on the sections marked 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. If your bet comes in, the casino pays 2 to 1. A £10 bet will return £30, inclusive of the original bet.
- Dozens Bet – this is another type of bet that pays 2 to 1 and covers a total of twelve numbers. Place your chip on the section labelled 1-12, 13-24, or 25-36 on the table to place a dozens bet.
Special French Roulette Bets
In addition to the inside and outside bets, there are special types of bets you can only find at a French roulette table. These special bets are also sometimes referred to as ‘Called Out’ bets because they are usually called out to the dealer. Visit Las Vegas or other popular land-based casinos and you’ll hear people call them out to dealers. They include Le Tiers Du Cylinder Roulette Bets, Orphelins Roulette Bets, Voisins du zero Roulette Bets and Neighbours Roulette Bets. Not all online casinos offer them and it’s good that you understand the rules guiding them in a casino offering them.
En Prison and La Partage Rules
These are special rules that you can only find in a French roulette wheel. When they become effective, the house edge in French roulette drops significantly to a partly 1.35%. Here’s how they affect the house edge in French roulette.
En Prison Rule
When the ball will land on the single zero, the ball is taken to “prison”. You are given another chance to re-spin the wheel and see if your number comes up. If the number that you had predicted comes up, you are refunded your full stake. Otherwise, you lose your bet.
This a modified rule of the En Prison. If the ball lands in a zero, you are refunded half the stake you placed on your bet.
Live Roulette Rules
Live roulette follows the same rules that the standard software-based roulette uses. However, unlike the standard version, the games are dealt by real humans also referred to as a dealer or a croupier. There are also other modified versions of live roulette games, which include the likes of Lightning Roulette, Double Zero roulette and other games.
While playing live roulette, the dealer is in charge of all the action, just as he/she would be at the land-based casino. Your obligation is just to follow the rules set by the house and chat with other players just as you would at the land-based casino.
You are now familiar with the rules of roulette! Why don’t you bookmark this page and impress your friends with all that you’ve learnt here today? Better yet, why don’t you take a minute and quickly try out some of the entertaining roulette games at the recommended online casinos? Claim the bonuses and use them to push the long term odds in your favour! If you are not familiar with all that you’ve read here, create an account, play for free and commit real money only after you’ve had enough practice.