Editorial Note: We might earn a commission from partner links on Betsquare. These commissions do not affect our writers and editors’ opinions or evaluations.
Online Roulette Casinos
Oct 31, 2023, 5:54 pm
Roulette games, as we know them, have been around since the 18th century. After all this time, it’s still one of the most popular casino games ever. The digital age has seen the advent of online roulette casinos, accessible from anywhere in the world.
But how do you play online roulette? Is it the same as a standard roulette wheel in a casino? Below, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best online roulette casinos and the quirks of plating roulette for real money online.
All of the recommended online casinos on our website are carefully selected on the following criteria:
- Top Payouts
- Withdrawal speed
- Gambling licenses
- Customer service & Reliability
Top Online Roulette Casinos Canada - November 2023
Roulette Game: History & Rules
The roulette wheel was invented in the 1720s but wasn’t used for the game we all know and love till much later. Some historians believe that Blaise Pascal first invented a primitive version of the roulette game later in the 1700s.
What we’re certain of is that roulette as we know it saw the light of day in the early 18th century. It was a combination of an Italian game called Biribi and Pascal’s gambling wheel.
This game is entirely chance-driven, and the casino always has a slight advantage (called the house edge).
Rules of Playing Roulette
Understanding the rules is essential when you play online roulette games. Fortunately, playing an online roulette game is fairly simple. The player places a bet or series of bets on numbers, colours, or other game elements.
If the ball lands on one of the game elements you’ve wagered on, you win. That’s the simple version, anyway. We’ll take a closer look at the types of bets, and different strategies, a little later.
More Details About Roulette Types of Bets
If you play roulette games often, you know that this game has an inordinate amount of possible bets. For those of you who are just about to play roulette online, let’s review the betting options.
Outside bets cover numbers and spaces on the outer perimeter of the roulette table. Generally, these cover broader categories than other types of wager. They include:
|Red/Black||When you bet on whether the ball lands on a red or black space.|
|Odds/Evens||Wagering on whether the ball lands on an odd number or an even one.|
|High/Low||Betting on whether the ball will land on a high number (19-36) or a low one (1-18).|
|Columns||Betting on whether the ball will land on a number in column one, two, or three. These columns span the long end of the roulette table and cover:
|Dozens||A similar bet to the columns, but in consecutive order:
Inside bets cover bets made on picks inside the rectangle on the roulette table. These wagers include:
|Straight Up/Single||A standard bet covering one specific number.|
|Split||A bet on the line separating two different numbers. If the ball lands on either number, you win.|
|Street||Betting on a row of three numbers.|
|Corner||Like the split bet, this bet covers a division and the numbers surrounding it. However, corner wagers cover the four numbers around a central point.|
|Line||A double street bet, covering two rows of three numbers.|
|Five-Number Bet/Top-Line Bet||Betting on the group numbers (0, 00, 1, 2, 3).|
|Basket||Wagering on the first four numbers on the board (0-3).|
|Snake Bet||A highly specific bet named for the shape this wager makes. It includes wagers on 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32, and 34.|
Outside bets and inside wagers are the main wagers on online roulette sites. However, it’s worth noting that French roulette and other European roulette games may have additional wagering options.
How to Play Roulette at a CA Online Casino
How do you play roulette online at online casinos in Canada? It’s a fairly straightforward process, so let’s get into how you can start playing at the best online roulette sites:
- Look through our list of online casinos where you can play French roulette, American roulette, or European roulette for real money. Choose the site you like best.
- Sign up or register using the registration form. If you’re playing roulette online for real money, be sure to check for any welcome bonuses that might be valuable to you.
- Make a deposit using your favourite payment option. This step is unnecessary if you’re playing roulette for free.
- Choose your favourite paid or free roulette games.
- As with any other online casino games, follow the on-screen instructions to set your wager amounts and place your bets.
- Press the start button (or its equivalent on the game you’re playing).
- Sit back and enjoy the game!
Sign up For the Best Casino in Canada
Signing up for roulette sites is a relatively straightforward activity. Once you know that you’re ready to start playing this casino game, it’s time to follow our handy step-by-step guide to get you started.
- Read the casino’s terms and conditions carefully to ensure that you find them fair.
- Check to see if the casino has the roulette variants that you’d like to play. Also, have a look at the bonus offers to see if they have any that you’d like to participate in.
- Find the register or sign up button (usually in the top right corner or on the homepage) and click on it.
- Complete the registration form and submit it.
- Confirm your e-mail address, cellphone number, and any other details the casino would like to verify.
- Choose your favourite deposit method and add funds to your account.
- Select your favourite game from the casino’s real money roulette games.
- Read the rules and start playing!
Strategies for Playing Roulette in Canada
Whether you’re playing real money roulette or free roulette, a strategy can make or break your game.
Naturally, this casino game is based on chance, and there’s always a bit of house edge. Don’t head to the online roulette wheel thinking that you’ll win 100% of the time. However, you can improve your chances significantly.
- Focus on the outside bets – If you’re just getting started with roulette play, this is an ideal strategy to follow. While the payouts are drastically lower on outside bets (mostly even money bets), the house edge is also less. You might win less, but you’re likely to win more often.
- D’alembert – A French mathematician developed the D’alembert strategy in the 1800s. When using this strategy, you bet only on even numbers. Before playing, choose a dollar amount that will act as a “unit.” Your first bet should be one unit. If you win a bet, decrease the next wager by one unit. If you lose a bet, increase the next wager by one unit.
- Paroli – Focuses on “positive progression staking.” During roulette play, you keep your stake the same if you lose, but double it if you win. Theoretically, this strategy allows you to make a fair profit when you start winning.
- Martingale – Focuses mainly on outside bets to reduce the risk of significant losses. Every time you lose a wager, you double your next wager.
- Labouchere – A complex strategy relying on a fair bit of planning before you start your roulette play.
Is there a way to improve your chances, then? Well, you can try following these steps:
- Choose an amount you’d like to make as a profit. Ensure that you choose an achievable number. I.E. Don’t expect to win $50,000 with a $1,000 bankroll.
- Break your intended winnings down into a series of smaller numbers. Let’s assume you want to win $50. You can break that down into 8, 5, 6, 7, 5, 8, 6, and 5.
- Combine the outermost numbers to calculate your first stake (i.e. $13).
- Wager your stake on any even bet (outside bets are best).
- Repeat the process until you win, crossing off numbers as you use them and win.
Online Roulette Games and Providers
There are so many online roulette sites out there, featuring a plethora of roulette games. Whether you prefer European roulette, French roulette, or American roulette, there’s a site that has you covered.
Canadian players are lucky enough to have access to roulette games by some of the world’s top providers of casino games, including:
We recommend trying games like:
- Roulette Players Suite by IGT
- Dragon Jackpot Roulette by Playtech
- European Roulette Gold by Microgaming
- American Roulette and French roulette by NetEnt
Real Money VS Free Online Roulette
What are the differences between real money roulette and playing roulette for free? The differences aren’t as significant as you might think.
|Real Money Roulette||Free Roulette|
|You need to register and deposit money to start playing||You don’t typically need to register|
|You can take advantage of various bonuses||There are few if any, bonuses you can use|
|You can win or lose money playing online roulette||No risk or reward involved|
|You can play live roulette with real dealers||Live dealer games are unavailable to you.|
Bonuses at Canadian Online Roulette Casinos
When you’re playing real money roulette, you want every advantage that you can get. A welcome bonus or another form of promotion can go a long way to helping casino players.
Not every roulette casino offers these kinds of promotions. Many sites that do offer real money online roulette, host a variety of bonuses, including:
- Welcome bonuses – welcome bonuses are promotions intended to help new players play live roulette, slots like progressive jackpot roulette, or other games. It may take the form of:
- Free spins for slot machines
- Free play for table games like roulette
- Bonus cash that you can use on any game
- Deposit Bonuses/Matched deposits – this type of promotion matches some or all of the deposits you make into your casino account.
- No-Deposit Bonuses – this type of bonus gives you free cash or another form of free play when you register at a casino.
Online VS Land-Based Roulette: Difference & Tips
So you’re wondering how an online roulette site differs from playing in person in Las Vegas? There aren’t very many differences, but here they are:
Land-Based casinos generally:
- Only offer real money games
- Have live dealers
- Offer a significant variety of games, but usually only one or two roulette tables
- Play by standard roulette rules
- Have more of an atmosphere than playing online from home
Online casinos may:
- Offer free or real money games
- Have live dealer games or other versions of live roulette
- Play by standard rules, or slightly altered versions
- Have a much more subdued vibe than land-based casino games
- Offer a variety of games such as:
- Multi ball roulette
- Premium European roulette gold
- Premium French roulette
Whether you play online, or in person, roulette is a game of chance. You’ll always have to contend with the house edge and the sheer contrariness of Lady Luck. It’s a fantastic game, though, and online gambling has made it accessible to many more people around the world.
Find yourself the right casino (try the top of this page), with a great bonus, and you’re all set to play this fantastic game online. Whether you prefer French, European, or American versions of the game, there’s something for you. You can also choose between free games, and playing for real cash.
This game has been popular for hundreds of years and will remain so. With new variants like Slingo and remakes of old versions like Keno popping up every year, you’re sure to find something you like on any device.
Our Review Process
At Betsquare.com, as a leading online casino affiliate website, we maintain robust sourcing standards. Our insights are derived from peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and authoritative industry associations. We steer clear of tertiary references, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of our content. For a deeper understanding of our content verification processes, explore our editorial policy.
Our team of experts diligently monitors the online casino industry, ensuring our articles remain current and relevant by promptly incorporating the latest available information.
Dec 7, 2022
What do you think of our online roulette page? Let us know!
A great way to find the best online roulette sites is to review the list at the top of this page. Most online casinos offer real money roulette games. There are plenty of trusted online roulette gambling sites which are more than adequate.
Online casinos generally have a standard set of wagers you can make when you play roulette.
The main bets are inside bets (played on the numbers and colours inside the rectangle) and outside bets (played on the perimeter of the table).
However, the wagers in European roulette and American roulette can differ significantly. European roulette has more wagering options than American roulette. For instance, live dealer roulette may include call bets when you play European roulette.
You can get bonuses when playing the roulette wheel at online casinos. Some casino sites may offer free play, while others offer bonus cash. It’s up to you to find the best online roulette site for you.
Not at all. It’s entirely up to you. You can play European roulette, multi-wheel roulette, or mini roulette for real money. However, you can also play variations of each type of roulette for free. Bear in mind, if you don’t play with real money, you can’t win real money either.
Certainly not! Whether you’re playing American roulette for free or European roulette for real money, online roulette games aren’t rigged. Most games either work with a random number generator (which is almost tamper-proof) or a live dealer. Gambling Commissions regularly review the games to ensure that cheating is impossible.