Editorial Note: We might earn a commission from partner links on Betsquare. These commissions do not affect our writers and editors’ opinions or evaluations.
Best Welcome Bonus Casinos in Canada
Oct 25, 2023, 5:27 pm
Anyone who has engaged in a bit of online gambling or even visited a gambling website has seen a ‘Welcome Bonus’ message pop-up. It is usually after you’ve spent a few minutes on the website or when you click the ‘back’ button to exit the website.
You don’t want to spend too much time picking the best welcome bonuses – you want to sign up, get them, and start spending them as soon as possible!
The best Welcome Bonus Casinos in Canada - 2023
You see, gambling in Canada has been legal for quite some time, and while other countries are just getting used to living and enjoying the same gambling freedom online as Canadians have enjoyed at brick-and-mortar establishments and on the internet, most Canadian clients need a bit more to be pleased than the basics.
Better customer service, better choice of their favourite games, and better welcome bonuses when they finally pick the perfect casino with the perfect mood and the perfect games.
Make sure that you check out the fine print if a casino seems too good to be true – the fine print that might affect your casino experience. Withdrawal times, return to player percentage, and casino customer service in case you encounter any trouble with your online casino account or any other wagering requirements.
Another thing to remember about a welcome bonus is that you can’t just collect free money and run with it – the money is there for you to test games with at the casino of your choice only. You can’t withdraw it or use it at other casinos – so don’t ask!
This is why you should read the wagering requirements at all casinos before you make an account. Among other information, they state how many times money can be “recycled” before you can hit the “withdraw” button.
Read on for more information about welcome bonuses!
Best Welcome Bonus Calendar
All of the recommended Canadian online casinos on our website are carefully selected on the following criteria:
- Return to player percentage
- Withdrawal speed
- Gambling licenses
- Customer service & Reliability
What Are Welcome Bonuses?
Welcome bonuses are a perfect example of what happens when the snowball effect goes into freefall – and rolls in favour of the consumer. If there is something that sets an online casino completely apart from a brick-and-mortar casino (except for the location, of course) is the welcome bonus.
If you go to any of the fine casinos near Niagara Falls, you won’t just get showered with free time at the one-armed bandits or chips, will you? No, of course not… But you don’t see several thousand casinos near Niagara falls either. Now imagine if there were thousands of casinos there, all at arm’s reach, in the same building.
They would all need to get your attention fast! Let’s face it. There is a finite supply of cutting-edge games that you can play at a casino, whether it’s online or brick-and-mortar. Any one person likes a certain pool of games. If the product is almost repetitive or similar, the casinos will need to play a different game to catch your attention. This is how welcome bonuses were born.
A welcome bonus is a prize – a sort of win that you can pocket before you even start playing – so you can test out the games you want and see if you can find your new favourite card game or adventure slot.
The whole point of it is to get you playing before you start paying.
In fact, most people are a bit less likely to try a new game if they have to play with their own money. When they are given a chance to play for free, they can experiment more “recklessly” and play some games they wouldn’t have tried otherwise.
Sometimes, it turns out to be a great surprise and a new favourite. Or maybe the opposite is true, and you can finally stop wondering if that wild-looking game is a good play – because it’s not. And it’s a good thing that you didn’t need to pay for it to find out, isn’t it?
Want Welcome Bonuses? Here’s How to Get Your Hands On the Best
We have put together a list of casinos that offer some of the most generous welcome bonuses among other casinos available online and at Betsquare. Take a moment to look through them – it always takes a minute to find an online casino with the best atmosphere, “feel” and aesthetic that’s pleasing.
- Another thing to look for is the casino’s UX. Seriously, different things may work for your feeling of comfort and ease of navigation, and all online casinos offer a different experience when it comes to user design and accessibility. Find out which one is best for you.
- Once you have picked the perfect casino, it’s time to sign up and make an account with them. Don’t worry – this isn’t a marriage contract. Just a simple account to keep track of your games, winnings, bonuses, and such. It also makes proceeding with deposits and withdrawals possible. You can have accounts open at many different casinos and get a welcome bonus every time you sign up. Just saying.
- All online casinos make it incredibly easy to make an account with them. In fact, it’s probably the first section or pop-up that will welcome you once you click and enter their website. Go ahead and follow the links to the account page and enter your information. It’s important not to put it in a junk email because then you won’t get contacted about payments, confirmations, and bonuses.
- Enter a payment method – online casinos take payments like PayPal and other eWallets; some take miscellaneous cryptocurrencies, as well as major credit cards and echecks.
- After choosing your preferred payment method, it’s time to make your deposit. This is the important part – read through the casino’s policy and see what amount is the most beneficial. After all, you only get the welcome bonus once, and a lot of the bonuses reflect the amount of money you have deposited in your initial deposit.
- It might be something like a 50% deposit bonus, where if you deposit 100$, you will receive a “free” 50$ to gamble with. There are also “sticky” bonuses and “non-sticky” bonuses. “Sticky” bonuses will literally stick with your account until you gamble them away, and they’re completely lost. The “non-sticky” bonuses will be available for withdrawal once you have completed the wagering requirements with them. Make sure to read the fine print!
- Once you set up an account and make your first deposit into your gambling account, you’re free to receive and use your welcome bonus. Stay and read more about welcome bonuses ahead!
Wagering Requirements For Welcome Bonuses
We’ve written a lot about wagering requirements, but what are they? Let’s take a second to explain. A wagering requirement is simply a rule – or a contract. It specifies how a player is allowed to spend their bonus and how the money can be withdrawn, if at all.
There will always be a number attached to your wagering requirement. Let’s say that number is 5. This means that if you got a $50 bonus, you will need to wage 5 times this amount in order to withdraw that money. In this case, 5 x $50 is $250. You will need to complete the wagering requirements for your bonus “free” money before you cash out.
This is all – it’s not too complicated, and it applies to any “free” bonus money you get from the casino. The best wagering requirements are the ones that don’t require too much turnover. In a nutshell, the lower the number of wagering requirements, the better – you’ll need to spend less money to cash out.
What Is a Cashback Bonus At an Online Casino?
If you read our list, you might notice that some casinos don’t only have a great sign-up bonus but also have a cashback offer. Let’s see what that’s all about.
These are bonuses for people who run into a string of bad luck and start really losing. You probably know those days. It seems like no matter what you do, you just keep on losing and can’t win even once. Ironically, sometimes this happens in real life too. Just one of those days or even weeks.
Some casinos like to take care of you when you’re feeling down and when you hit that losing streak. A cash-back bonus is given to you when you have a losing streak of a specified amount. For example, if your balance drops below a set amount for a set amount of consecutive days – let’s say that it drops below 40$ for two consecutive days, you’ll get a 35% cashback bonus for every dollar that you’re actively losing.
That should give you some incentive to pucker up and push through your bad day. Too bad real life isn’t like that, right?
The Fine Print in Welcome Bonuses
As with most giveaways that involve money or perks, there is some fine print to get familiar with. We can make it easier on you by making you aware of what to look for when signing up for a new casino and how to understand wagering requirements and common welcome bonus setbacks.
- One of the most common tips that anyone should be aware of at the very beginning is that if something looks too good to be true, it might just be too good to be true. Usually, welcome bonuses might seem about the same – the only thing that’s worth looking at is the welcome bonus cash amount versus the number of free spins you get. Because some people enjoy sitting down at a live table of poker and enjoying the game, while some people relax better when clicking the “spin” button at a fun slot game.
- Keep it simple: if you’re a slot player and you know it, pick the casinos that offer the most free spins. And if you like other games, get the most out of your bonus cash!
- One thing to keep in mind is that the more generous a welcome bonus is, the more strings it has attached to it. We don’t mean to discourage you – usually, the best casinos have good bonuses, and they are very comparable. We only mean that if something really sticks out from the crowd and seems incredibly generous, amazing and is the loudest one in the room, it probably means that there’s some fine print in the wagering requirements that will either prevent a quick turnaround on a withdrawal or other ‘gotcha’ tactics.
- Remember that an average casino will make the wagering requirements around 40 times the bonus amount. If the bonus is gigantic compared to others, it might mean that the waging requirement might be even more gigantic. This is a sneaky way to make people wager more at a given casino, and we can’t say we agree with it unless it’s really worth your time.
Final Thoughts About Welcome Bonuses
After reading this page, you should know what welcome bonuses are, how to get the most out of them and how to watch out for tricky fine print.
Welcome bonuses are a great way to welcome new players into a casino and get them to experiment and try new games without spending any of their own money. You can go a long way with a welcome bonus when you gamble recreationally, and it makes picking the games you play for real money easier.
As always, we’re here to help you on your journey through the world of welcome bonuses at our hand-picked casinos. Any other questions? Check out our FAQs below for any subjects we might have missed on this page.
Our Review Process
Our team of experts diligently monitors the online casino industry, ensuring our articles remain current and relevant by promptly incorporating the latest available information.
Dec 7, 2022
What do you think of our Welcome bonuses page? Share your thoughts with other Canadians!
Best Welcome Bonus Casinos FAQs
Yes, and they are called no-deposit bonuses. You don’t need to make a deposit into your casino account, but you do need to make an account. To receive any type of bonus, there needs to be an account associated with it! The no-deposit bonus is usually a one-time bonus that allows free spins and sometimes “free cash” to try out some non-slot games.
This all differs from casino to casino. For this information, you have to read the fine print on your bonus offer and see the wagering requirements. These are available before you sign up and before you make any purchases in a casino.
No, but the speed of your deposit and withdrawal does! However, be on the lookout for “specials” at some casinos that may pertain to payment methods such as PayPal, Bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies, or major credit cards. Sometimes, for whatever reason, casinos prefer that you spend money with a specific payment method.